Starting in December 1939, the construction of Gusen concentration camp was carried out by prisoners of the camp Mauthausen. As of May 1940 it had the status of a Mauthausen branch camp.
The SS-run company German Earth and Stone Works (DESt) used the forced labour of KZ prisoners for the exploitation of their stone quarries. From early 1943, thousands had to carry out slave labour for armaments industry companies such as Steyr-Daimler-Puch and Messerschmitt. In the nearby town of St. Georgen, inmates of the camp Gusen II had to work on the construction of one of the biggest subterranean arms factories in the German Reich. At the end of 1944, the sub-camp at Gusen III was created for the construction of an industrial bakery serving the camps.
Of the total of approximately 71,000 prisoners, belonging to at least 27 different nationalities, detained at camp Gusen until its liberation in May 1945, more than half did not survive.
In the years after the liberation, the camp was gradually destroyed. Today, only few scattered architectural remains can be found throughout the region.
The Virtual Guide describes the regional activities and reach of the former Gusen concentration camp. To get to the guide click here: